Tyanna J. Buie

I found Tyanna's pieces to be very engaging and freshly unique in a variety of ways. Frequently, I find myself questioning the utility of "meaningless" art devoid of any human associations. I value art that questions or makes a statement about an issue, or can be utilized for change, or just generally used as a tool. While I can see the value in shifting expectations (like the simple selection of an aesthetically interesting object like the bottle holder in the interview we watched for class), I find that the human connection imbued within a piece is much more meaningful.

This is why I found Tyanna's art so engaging, because behind every image and every choice, we can see a rich history that she invites us to experience with her. For example, this image illustrates her desire to re-imagine her relatives:


I found this piece incredibly beautiful. Her decision to use mug shots, and then change them into portraits that completely change the way the subject is presented is exceptionally lovely. Her talk, as well, was a touching and interesting example of the way she prefers to make art, and the function that it has in her life. My favorite piece from her presentation was the piece in which she used her uncle's ashes to paint with:


The quilt-like pattern of the print, the exquisite flowers that the subject holds, the presence of bars in the background, and the subtle pattern all have distinct histories and places within the space of the print, and it holds both universal themes and yet tells the specific story of Tyanna's relatives.

Just loved it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boots

My First Gallery

Douglas Gordon