A Series of Performance Events

This was an exceptionally intriguing project, because it definitely highlights the documenter and the power that that person has. For my documentation process, I used my iPhone to record the events (except Noah's for some reason -- I think I messed up and forgot to actually record, much to my infinite frustration), then I decided to alter the color of each event and I edited the actual performance, cutting out down the event to either key moments or simply cutting out parts of the event. In this way, I imposed meaning on each performance piece - an audience member then consumes the art not as a performance piece based on the subjectivity of the performance artist. Rather, the performance artist becomes the object of my subjectivity/camera, which is hella invasive. Here's the video:


Again, I wish that I had the video that I took of Noah's piece, but all I had was a single image. Even that has specific implications about how I as the creator of the film felt about the piece, but I really just didn't have a recording of it. I think it's also interesting because, as an image, his whole piece is reduced to one single moment which doesn't even include him.
 I feel like my editing techniques also changed the meaning of the pieces, especially Johnie's, because I disrupted his speech. Does this disruption of the event seem invasive or interesting to you all? Do you find my imposed meaning on your pieces intrusive or intriguing?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boots

Douglas Gordon

Kristen Morgin