My Structured World

Prompt: Write a blog post about your new blog introducing yourself and describing your world.

When I look at a prompt like this, especially for something that I know will be scrutinized and picked over and graded, I start to panic. I immediately begin to look for more criteria, more guidelines that will tell me exactly how I need to respond to such a question that will produce the most favorable response from my peers and my superiors.

When faced with such a broad yet surprisingly personal question, the only response that I could think of to give is:

Structured. My world is structured. And I am a product of my structured environment.
And, if my art is an extension of me, my art is also structured.

I came to this conclusion after my frantic search for more guidelines to shape my response to this prompt. And it's true! I'm currently following an archetype of the white middle class woman, taking classes that demand a set amount of work, conducting interactions based on conventions I learned as a child or young adult, and presenting myself in a way that fits into different categories that I think I want to be associated with.

My art, up to this point, is structured in a similar way. For nearly every piece of art that I've ever thought to call 'art', I received a prompt and with it, guidelines to judge it by. I like to think that within those guidelines, I've created art that will make people happy or art that will make people think, because that is the kind of art I really enjoy, like the movie Obvious Child directed by Gillian Robespierre or Snowpiercer directed by Joon-ho Bong. However, I haven't really started to develop my style, because up until this point I've only been following prompts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Boots

My First Gallery

Douglas Gordon